Hunt Auctions' May Internet/Phone auction includes several items of interest to Jewish sports collectors.
One of the auction's featured lots an event program from the September 20, 1959 B'nai B'rith Annual Awards Dinner held at the Boston Sports Lodge.
An interesting piece of Jewish ephemera in its own right, the program's autographs add its attractiveness to sports collectors.
Baseball Hall of Famer Ty Cobb, baseball/basketball player Gene Conley, baseball/basketball player and Rifleman actor Chuck Connors, boxing great Jack Dempsey, Jewish football Hall of Famer Benny Friedman, billiards great Willie Mosconi, the "father of amateur golf" Francis Ouimet, and John Quinn signed on the cover.
Tennis champion Don Budge, Chuck Connors, basketball Hall of Famer Bob Cousy and Olympian Jesse Owens autographed the program's interior pages.
As of this posting, the bid on the program was $363. It is expected to realize $500-$750.
Among the other notable lots in the sale:
- A collection of three signed baseballs, including one autographed by Theo
- Five lots featuring Hank Greenberg cards and memorabilia, including vintage publications and board games, and a 1963 Sports Hall of Fame replica bust collection of sculptures.
- Fifteen lots featuring Sandy Koufax cards, memorabilia and autographs. This includes a a 30"X40" signed photo of Koufax celebrating his fourth no-hitter and a graded Near Mint 1955 Topps Koufax rookie card.
- A group of two signed books, which includes Baseball and Your Boy signed by Al Rosen and Where Have You Gone, Joe DiMaggio? signed by DiMaggio and author and Jewish sportswriter Maury Allen [Visit Amazon.com to buy Rosen's book and titles from Allen's extensive collection of writings].
- And, a collection of vintage mini-bats, including an Al Schacht model.
Editor's Note: As I am able, I plan to spotlight on JewishSportsCollectibles.com Jewish sports cards and memorabilia up for bid in major auctions. If you are aware of any auction houses I should follow, please email email@example.com.